January 10, 2010

The Young and The Restless

I think I have been denying myself my youth lately. After a W on the board for Team Arterx, our team went to the Lincoln Park Pub in Tremont for a few celebratory drinks. We somehow got onto the age game. Everyone on the team is late 20s, early 30s or older. I on the other hand am sitting pretty at 23 yrs of age. "Well, I was born in 1986." A little laughter crawls over the table. J. Byrne reminds me of something I have forgotten lately; an idea that got lost among the bills, grocery shopping and apartment decorating. "Shelley, your like in your prime right now!" You know what, I totally agree.

Lately I have fallen into the pattern of single, working girl/domestic goddess. I rarely go out and have even skipped out on my weekly bottle of wine, due to bills, dates with my Swiffer Wet Jet and the gym. I'm very happy for my accomplishments in life thus far in my life - Graduated from college, found a great job, got a place of my own.... I have followed all the rules, well most of them - I deserve to get out and celebrate once and a while. Which is why I am so glad I went out with my friends in Willoughby on Friday night...

Sarah and I got a few drinks at 1899 in DTW. We had a couple hours by ourselves and than the boys came to meet up with us. All was well in the world and I had a great time! Saturday, as I mentioned was the first Winter Football Game. Unfortunately I was completely exhausted after Friday nights (err mornings) rendezvous til 8am, football and 4 beers, that by the time I got home at 3:45pm today, I passed out til 8.... It was well deserved don't you think??

I had to drag myself out of my warm bed; I only ate chips and guac for the day so I figured food was necessary. Giant Eagle, late night, is like being on the set of a scary movie. Bread looks different under the dark shadows of the store running at half electrical power. The deli, butcher and seafood windows are cleared and blacked out. The rent a cop in aisle 4 makes you feel like you just committed a crime for checking the nutrition facts on 100 calorie popcorn. Luckily, no cart traffic made shopping a breeze and I was able to escape unscathed

So now, here I am watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns, eating 100 cal popcorn and wondering why I can't have a secret vampire relationship like Spike and Buffy...
Pop corn, reruns and vampire fantasies on a Saturday night. Maybe I am ready to grow up.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love this :) I think we all fall into our routines. I feel like I function best with them :)

    Enjoy Buffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I remember this...and it only gets worse as you get closer to 30. You're like "CRAP, where did my youth go, I wish I wasn't in such a hurry to grow up!" Here I am, 28 and wondering feeling like I wish I would've wore a few more short skirts while I could get away with it.

    ReplyDelete