February 6, 2010

Valentines Day

Setting: Erie, PA. Mercyhurst College, Valentines Day 2004

Chris Van Horn walked in the rain to come see me at my dorm in Egan Hall. I wasn't feeling well at all that day (I would always get sick in the late winter at school). Chris brought me chocolates even though I had no desire to eat and proceeded to ask me to be his girl friend. I quickly said yes... We watched a movie in the lounge and than he left. He later called to say he made it home a bit quicker because he had "a lil pep in his step". Chris always knew what to say to make me smile... That was the first and last Valentine I have ever had (besides dad, he always got us some treats for V-Day). Chris and I lasted for a few months, the pressures of keeping a long distance relationship got to both of us. I can't say I know what he is doing now, but I wish him a Happy Valentines Day!

I have never been one of those single girls that are against this Holiday, But I don't understand its purpose. I think you should be able to celebrate love in a relationship any and every day.

Here are a few statistics for Valentines Day that I was able to track down:
  • 180 Million Valentines Day Cards exchanged annually, this number excludes children's boxed Valentines for school exchange (hallmark research)
  • 120 single men to 100 single women in the 20 Something Age Bracket (US Census)
  • 1,273 = the number of locations producing Chocolate or Cocoa products in 2003 (US Census)
  • 1 = the number of Valentines Days Shelley has participated in (Known Fact...)
I would really like to know where all these single men are?? Maybe Loveland, CO or Romeo, MI.
Big Plans for the 14th? Funny story from the past?? I want to hear your Valentine stories so send em in!!

2 comments:

  1. I was one of the single girls that hated V-Day! I wore all black one day! I didn't have a lot of boyfriends...

    I just remember back in grade school we did this thing with Orange Crush cans. You sent them to your friends and they would be like secret admirers. I always hoped that I got one from someone secret. Ooooh how I hoped. While the popular girls got a case of Orange Crush cans, I had my one...that was sent to me by a teacher to make sure everyone got at least one. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go for some Orange Crush right now! I can't even imagine what they do now in grade school? Especially with the pressures young girls face in todays society, do you think that they have stopped Valentines Day all together?? This could be a good discussion point!!

    ReplyDelete